In the late 1940’s, members ran fortnightly dances in the Pakuranga Hall to raise funds for a Clubhouse. This building, a steel ship’s cabin from the “Southern Cross” was hauled from Cockle Bay, where it had done service as a holiday bach and the expenditure of $200, plus a good deal of voluntary labour, converted it into a practical clubhouse. It stood on the site now occupied by the Howick Sea Rescue. A concrete-block gear shed was added and later, a top storey starting box.
In 1958, when there was talk of beach improvements, the Club decided to replace the existing clubhouse with another on a new site. Bottle drives and manure drives, etc. were organised and, with some pre-paid subscriptions, enough money was raised to have the current clubhouse built. Much of the foundation work was performed by members! A grant was received from the “Golden Kiwi” lottery to enable the Club to complete the furnishing and develop the basement. It was officially opened on Sunday November 12th 1967.
Howick Beach, Beach Road, PO Box 38 099, Howick 2145